Sunday, January 15, 2012

What to do with cereal crumbs

  This idea was inspired by the Tightwad Gazette written by Amy Dacyczyn.  She is one of the most influential frugal authors.  My husband eats Kelloggs Frosted Mini-wheats cereal almost every morning for breakfast.  He goes through about one box a week.  This cereal tends to make a lot of crumbs and therefore a lot of waste.  I started saving all the crumbs in a freezer container and when I get at least two cups, I can make up a batch of cookies.

  Chocolate Chip Crumb Cookies:

1 C. margarine (or butter)
1 C. brown sugar
1/2 C. white sugar
2 eggs
1tsp vanilla
2 C. flour
1/4 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt
2 C. oats
2 C. crushed dry cereal or other appropriate crumbs
1 C. chocolate chips

Cream margarine and sugars until sugar seems dissolved.  Mix in eggs and vanilla.  Sift flour, baking powder, soda and salt together and stir in slowly.  Add oats and crumbs mixing well.  If dough seems dry, can add a tablespoon of water at a time until moist.  Add chocolate chips.  Drop by spoonfuls on greased cookie sheet and flatten if necessary.  Bake 10-12 minutes at 375 degrees.  Do not over bake.  Remove and let cool.  I have used oil in place of the margarine and have used cereal crumbs in place of the oats.  You can cut back on the sugar if you are using really sweet crumbs like the frosted mini-wheats that we use.  Another variation would be to use raisins or craisins either in place of the chocolate chips or in addition to them.

1 comment:

  1. I love this! I would never have thought to use them that way. I just make myself eat them, which is a chore after eating the entire bowl already LOL.

    ReplyDelete