Friday, January 20, 2012

Free mulch and trash bags

  We have had a pretty severe drought in Texas recently so I am doing my best to get a head start on gardening before the heat hits and the rain stops.  One way I conserve water is by heavily mulching with leaves.  We have over an acre that can be mowed so we have no shortage of leaves to rake at home.  I usually just rake it into an old cart and wheel it over to the garden to unload but, I haven't started raking yet this year. 

  I've always driven by neighborhoods in town and seen their yards lined with several bags of leaves and thought I should stop and pick them up just to save time.  This past week I finally did.  I drive a minivan so I would just load up about 3-4 bags at a time when I was in the neighborhood and then dump them on my garden rows as soon as I got home.  I found that the leaves I chose were somewhat already mulched/broken up and the bags were clean enough that I could use them again either as a large kitchen trash bag or another use. 

  Now I still have to rake at home but, this will save me some time as it takes a lot of raking and moving leaves to cover each row.  At least now I have a time-saving head start and some free trash bags to go along with it.   Besides water conservation, another added benefit of mulching is you don't have to worry about the dreaded task of weeding!

No comments:

Post a Comment